Tuesday, April 23, 2013





I shall use this as both my writing sample and as a way to introduce my character I mentioned, Maxus Brightstar. Enjoy!

The following is a transcript is of a conversation between Gee2Heart and Maxus Brightstar.

Maxus: So, I hear you are considering me for the Academy? That's probably the best news I've gotten in the last 20 years or so. *Laughs*

Gee: Really? How old are you?

M: I'll be 987 in a month.

G: Huh. impressive. So, tell me a little about you. What are you?

M: *Takes a deep breath* What am I? Heh, that's a harder question to answer then you might expect. Let me start at the begining. Have you ever heard of a race called the Proteans?

G: *Shakes head*

M: Didn't think so. Anywhoodles, the Proteans were a race of interstellar nomads. They would wander from star system to star system, gathering knowledge as they went and storing it on huge "world ships". About twelve thousand years ago, they encountered another race called the Ki'lik. The Ki'lik were a violent and powerful species, and immediately attacked the Proteans. In the end, the Proteans won......but just barely. You following so far?

G: Yes. Continue.

M: So, after their encounter with the Ki'lik, the Proteans decided that they would need protectors. Warriors to fight for a race of scholars. At first they experimented with artificial intelligence, but after several nasty mishaps involving AI's gone rouge, they decided to try genetic engineering. They used an extremely advanced form of recombinant DNA technology, and took bits and pieces from all of the various genetic profiles they had collected over the ages and combined them into a single creature. Dubbed the Guardian, they made six thousand more of him, male and female, and asked them to protect the Proteans. My kind agreed.

G: Alright. What can you tell me about your kind?

M: *Chuckles* Well, we were designed to be perfect. We have strength, speed, stamina, and agility five times that of any other race encountered by the Proteans. Our sense are ten times sharper, we can think nearly as fast as a computer, and can survive almost anywhere. We have four lungs and two hearts, our stomachs can digest nearly anything, and we are able to breathe in any atmosphere, including underwater. The only place we cannot survive is in a vacuum. We are immune to most forms of poison, and neurotoxins have no effect on us at all. Our bones are infused with naturally occurring carbon fiber, making them very hard to break. Our skin also has the same molecular makeup as a material called durellium. It is a very dense yet light metal that enables us to sustain hits that would kill most other beings outright. As for our powers, well, we can manipulate and control the universe around us at the subatomic level. This essentially lets us rewrite and control the laws of nature and physics. That's it's most basic application. The more powerful and creative the Guardian, the more ways the power can be used. And I'm the most powerful Guardian in roughly four generations, I think. However, we cannot control or influence living creatures. 

G: Hmm. Well. Thanks for your time, and I will consider your application carefully.

M: *Nods and shakes hands.* It was my pleasure. I look forward to hearing from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment